Monday, February 9, 2009

26th DECEMBER 2004-- DO YOU REMEMBER THE DAY?

26th DECEMBER 2004-- DO YOU REMEMBER THE DAY? I guess you don't, do you? Well, how many of us remember a day or a date that has got nothing to do with our lives even though it is a very important date? But I still remember the day. I was in Port Blair. After waking up in the morning, I was having tea and watching the Sri Lanka-New Zealand one-day match ( may be a highlights, I don't remember it). Suddenly I felt the cup in my hand was trembling. I thought, may be I was still in a trance and needed a short sleep. Then I thought( one of the weirdest thoughts I guess), may be the ship, that just now whistled, was the reason for this trembling, as it was setting off for a journey. Still, I had no idea what was waiting for us. Then suddenly, someone shouted out, "Earthquake!!! There is an earthquake!!!" I rushed out, like everyone else and realized there really was an earthquake. Well, I felt glad(!?!) to experience an earthquake for the first time in my life. Then suddenly after a few moments, I saw many a police gathering in our hotel and saying something in the walkie-talkie. Some of us asked them and the hotel manager what the matter was.

We came to know that we just now experienced a tsunami, that had struck havoc in many parts of the Nicobar islands along with Indonesia and other countries( obviously you don't expect me to remember the names of those countries, do you?).

Well, what I tried to mean in this whole post was that I was in Port Blair during that tsunami struck.( A very long way to imply that, isn't it?) 

No comments:

Post a Comment